Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Why, Oh Why?!

If you haven't already noticed, I like to talk. A lot. I come from a family of talkers. We love to get together and gossip and eat of course, we love to eat (actually, I can't think of a single family function that didn't involve food at some point, lol, how sad is that? But then again, how else are we supposed to keep busy when we're not busy talking?) Anyway, it is because of my love of talking that, naturally, I have a lot to say.

From the time I was in second grade I've written stories. It wasn't until later that I realized those stories were a reflection of either something I was feeling, (loneliness, isolation, being different) or something that I longed for (friendship, acceptance, self-confidence).

I write stories so that I can live vicariously through my characters, give them what they want and then take it away at the drop of a hat. That's another reason why I write: Power. I have control over anything and everything that happens in my characters' lives. I get to decide if the weather is rainy, sunny, or if hail the size of golf balls are pelting to earth. I get a say in whether my MC falls for the nerdy boy or popular jock (and if he likes her back). Basically, I am "the man behind the curtain" as Oz from The Wizard of Oz would say. I have the power-and it rocks! :)

I write because, if I didn't, I'd go nuts-literally, I have so many characters voices and stories chattering and swirling around in my head that if I didn't take the time to write them all down, my brain would explode (and the last thing I want is brain matter stuck in between the keys of my computer!)

Also, I want the chance to share my characters' stories with the world. I want someone to be moved and touched by my writing, I want to make them laugh, cry, I don't care, I just want them to feel something (except boredom, lol, boredom I could do without, it's like the ultimate death sentence for a writer!)

And finally, I write with the hope of publication. I want to meet people, teens, librarians, bloggers, everybody. I want to be able to talk shop, commiserate with other writers on their bumps in the road and jump up and down for joy with them to celebrate their successes. I just want to be able to experience all of the amazing things that the life of a writer has to offer and that, my friends, is why I write.

~Ella

No comments:

Post a Comment