Wednesday, November 24, 2010

What I'm Thankful For

Since it's the week of Thanksgiving, which is a very big holiday for my family, I thought that I'd say what I'm thankful as opposed to confessing the strange things I've done this month. Then again, in a lot of ways they're sort of the same thing.

1. I’m thankful for days off. I haven’t truly taken a day off in over a year, but on November 12 I did. I went to bed at six o’clock, slept through numerous phone calls bearing horrible news, and didn’t wake up until six the next morning. I spent the rest of the day writing, cooking, and not answering my phone. I wrote over 5,000 words, didn’t go down stairs till noon, and ate dinner at five.

2. I’m thankful for my family who panics when they can’t reach me, and who never let me forget what’s important in my life… them.

3. I’m thankful for a very special guy in my life who no matter how crazy his life is always takes the time to ask me how I’m doing, stays up late helping me outline even when he’s worn out, and helps me figure out the military’s response to the reappearance of Greek Gods after the occurrence of a nuclear apocalypse.

4. I’m thankful for supportive professors and host teachers who don’t let me quit even when I want to.

5. I’m thankful for my cookbook full of recipes that can be made ahead of time and frozen. I probably wouldn’t eat lunch at all if it wasn’t for those recipes. I make up a double batch of something and brownies every Sunday, and every morning on my way out the door I stick two of whatever it is and a brownie in my lunch box. Oh, I’m also thankful for my grown up lunch box, with leopard spots on it.

-Aaron

No comments:

Post a Comment