Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Timeless Classics verses Current Bestsellers

I have a confession, when I first got this week’s topic I wasn’t sure if I had even read a classic. Not because I’m ignorant and rough around the edges (although I probably am), but because I’m a linear thinker and “timeless classic” is a very subjective. Even after I Googled “what are the classics in literature” I’m still not sure what the classics are. Everyone has a different opinion and every list I came across was just a little bit different. Thankfully, there was enough overlap that I could determine that yes I had read a great deal of classics, although the exact number varies depending on which list I went by.

However, regardless of which list I use my favorite timeless classic has and will always be Bram Stoker’s Dracula. Although, I really like the story of Dracula what I really love about this book is the story behind it.

Even though it is a timeless classic Dracula was never a best seller. Even when it was written it was dated and evidently a lot of people thought it wasn’t a book women should read because it might offend our delicate sensibilities. However, it was far enough out there that it just hung in there.

There’s no reason that a bestseller can’t become a timeless classic, but the thing that separates them is that bestsellers seem to burn bight for a short period of time while timeless classics smolder, refusing to die out.

-Aaron

No comments:

Post a Comment