Saturday, November 13, 2010

The Question...

Classic versus current?

The epic battle.

Personally I love classic novels. Let’s be frank, Jane Eyre, Wuthering Heights, Frankenstein, The Importance of Being Ernest, Dracula and Romeo and Juliet, are amazing. And I’m only naming a few.

Now there are the books I don’t like, which will not be mentioned because I don’t want to, but everyone has their tastes.

As for the war timeless versus current, I have to say that you can’t really pick a side. Or at least I can’t, as I am a writer who is current. I mean literature is literature, and unless it’s written in gibberish or a language I do not comprehend, I’m going to read it. Or at least try to read it, because if it puts me off enough I’ll abandon it…but I digress.

When we are old and grey the books that were considered current when we were kids will be considered classics *cough*HarryPotter*cough*cough* and some wont *cough*Twilight*cough*cough*. But it’s all based on the skill of the writing and the substance behind the story.

I really agree with Aaron’s statement about Bestsellers burning bright, and Classics living on. Like in this short story we read in English last week, that I believe was written by Nathaniel Hawthorne, about humans becoming so intelligent they decided to do away with all knowledge via book burning and each book burned differently based on its literary content. I cannot remember the title now, but I’ll remember it eventually and then edit it into this post. Alright it’s late; I’ve got work in the morning. Goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment