Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Name Sleuth

I don't really have a system when it comes to choosing the the perfect name for each of the characters in my stories. The name I spend the most time deciding upon is my main character's name. Since I'm going to be spending a lot of time with them I really want to love their name and not despise it whenever it comes up, or else I might start hating the character all together. For other characters I pretty much just pick whatever name I can think of really, I'm not very picky when it comes to them, plus I know I can change names later on in future drafts if I want to.

For me, finding the perfect names for my characters is one of my favorite parts of the writing process (and a also a great way to procrastinate, lol)! Two of the websites I like to use when I'm on the hunt for the perfect name are Baby Names and Nymbler. They're simple and easy to use and have a ton of great name suggestions along with name meanings and other interesting information!

Some of my favorite character names from books are names that reveal a lot about the character themselves. Some great examples of this are: Scarlett and Rosie March from Sisters Red by Jackson Pearce, Ethan Wate from Beautiful Creatures by Kamie Garcia and Margaret Stohl, and, of course, all the character names from the Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling! All of her character names are as unique and awesome as the characters behind them (I'm looking at you, Dumbledor, aka bumblebee! :))

Happy name hunting!
~Ella

9 comments:

  1. Hi, Enjoy the article, I'm Manisha, I really want to say sincerely that this is amazing content that you have shared. thanks for this. it's really very helpful for me.

    Live Current Affairs
    Live Sarkari Naukri
    How to get a Government Job easily
    Facebook Video Download Online
    Sarkari Yojana - PM Modi Yojana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...Nice information..Thanks for tellin the valubule information..Do like this more blogs..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best shoes for walking on concrete
    Best women’s shoes for standing on concrete for long hours, keep your feet pain-free. Standing on a hard concrete floor for an extended period will inevitably wreak havoc on your feet and entire body.It is quite painful to stand for long periods of time on hard concrete floors, which is common in many occupations. Fortunately, wearing appropriate and comfortable footwear can significantly reduce strain on your feet and lower limbs and provide all-day comfort and support

    ReplyDelete
  4. inkslingergirls.blogspot.com/2011/02/name-sleuth.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. MaxiMove LTD are a family run removal company offering home removals and same-day collection and delivery services at a competitive price. It's our goal to listen to our customers and put their requirements first and to provide you with an efficient, reliable and personalised service ensuring your moving day runs smoothly.
    Professional movers Liverpool
    Professional movers Liverpool

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, wonderful blog layout! How long have you been blogging for? you make blogging look easy. The overall look of your website is great, let alone the content!

    malayalam quotes
    love quotes malayalam
    sad quotes malayalam
    motivational quotes in malayalam
    friendship quotes malayalam

    ReplyDelete