Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Making My Hopes and Dreams My Characters' Realities

I think I write myself into my work by making my hopes and dreams into my characters' realities. For example, there are many things I wish I was and had, such as:

1. I want to be skinny
2. I want to have my first kiss
3, Go on my first date
4. Be athletic
5. Be musical
6. Live in a farmhouse
7. Have awesome paranormal abilities :)

So when I'm trying to come up with a new story idea or plot or character, I just choose from my long list of of hopes and dreams and wants and add one or many to my story and then go from there, because if I'm writing about something that I long for personally, then I'm much more willing to keep writing (and living vicariously through my work)! :)

~Ella

2 comments:

  1. This is a really great idea, I'd never had this thought in these exact terms but I think all writers must put bits and pieces of their desires into their stories. I'm definitely going to try consciously choosing what hopes to add in future.
    - Sophia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. With all the time put into writing, sometimes it does feel like you have to live through your characters! I relate completely.

    ReplyDelete